Monday, October 15, 2012

Where Did The Sun Go?

The moment I have been warned about for months has finally come: it has been overcast and rainy for the last 3 days in Seattle. Anywhere else, that may just sound like a lousy weekend. Here, however, it indicates that summer is finally over, and with that the fantastic weather I've been enjoying.

Thursday was the last day it was mostly clear and sunny, which was good since there was a big celebration at work. For a few hours at the end of the day, there was free food and drinks, and an awesome cover band playing. They even set off some fireworks - it was a great last day in the sun.

Friday started out a little cold, wet, and windy. Nothing unbearable, and certainly not as cold as it gets on the East coast, but enough that I wore a rain jacket (one I get specifically for the weather out here). Saturday was more of the same, but my roommates and I still went to the park to play some soccer. We were hoping to meet up with the people we played with last week, but they never showed up so we just stayed for a couple hours. There were some younger kids there playing with their parents watching, and they wanted to join us when they saw us taking penalty kicks. We let them take turns shooting on goal, mostly letting them score. Their parents were very appreciative, and it was actually fun for us too. I was surprised their parents were okay with it at first; I half expected their parents to shoo them away from us for fear that they were either bothering us or that we wouldn't "play nice".

The rain held off enough that we still got to go out on Friday and Saturday night. During the day it was enough to have us stay in, at least on Sunday, which was fine since there was plenty of football to watch. The Patriots were in Seattle this weekend, and the Seahawks got a narrow victory. We could hear the fireworks go off whenever Seattle scored, and Andrew (being from Massachusetts) was upset about the loss.

We also met some friends at a restaurant on Sunday night for dinner. This week is Restaurant Week in Seattle where you can get a 3-course meal for $28 at a LOT of restaurants. We went to a place called Aqua in Belltown, and it was awesome. It's right on the edge of the pier, so there's a great view of the water and the port. The food was also fantastic. I don't tend to order seafood a lot, but it's really great out here so I'm starting to get a great taste for it.

Bad weather aside, some things look pretty cool. The view from out apartment has a great view of the area with lots of trees which have started to turn all sorts of colors. At some point I'll take a picture, which I wish I had done with a lot of the stuff this week. Nothing much else to write about, other than I should be getting ready for work tomorrow. They added a new shuttle stop that is only a couple blocks from our apartment, so my commute is even shorter now. All I've done as a result is stay up later since now I can sleep in a little longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment